- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard and cayenne until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly. In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into four greased 10-oz. souffle dishes or custard cups. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cheese Souffles in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p61
Reviews for Cheese Souffles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 22, 2014
"Very simple to make and tastes good. Next time I will add some more spices as it was a bit bland for my taste."