Cheese Snack Bread Recipe
We've enjoyed this recipe in my household for many years, and I want to share it with my fellow readers. This bread is delicious served alone as a snack or appetizer, but it's especially good with homemade soup. My 40-year-old son still requests it whenever the family gets together!
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- Caraway seeds or poppy seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add warm milk, shortening, sugar, salt and 1-1/4 cups flour. Beat until smooth; stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Pat into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine cheese, egg, milk and onion. Spread over dough. Sprinkle with caraway seeds or poppy seeds.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve warm. Yield: 20-25 servings.
1 piece: 92 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Cheese Snack Bread
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC