- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 9 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 9 slices bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggs, milk, bread, cheese, bacon and mustard. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cheese Sausage Strata
"My family asked for 3rd helpings... the ultimate compliment!"
"I love how you can make it a day before! We made this numerous times already Sunday mornings. We do have to bake a little longer that stated. Pour some maple syrup on top before eating, it is awesome!"
"I always make this for Christmas morning. It' s so easy to pop in while enjoying family time. I use turkey sausage to lighten it up a bit."
"I made this for Easter brunch and everyone loved it. So easy to make and delicious too!"
"I layered ingredients in a 9x13 pan--sausage on bottom,then bread, then egg mixture, then cheese, then bacon on top along with a sprinkling of some dried herbs. Very pretty! It was a big hit at our church brunch."
"This recipe was so good. My whole family of picky eaters loved it."
"I have also found that it needs to bake longer than an hour. I use day old french bread. I make this frequently and always get rave reviews."
"This recipe is hearty and delicious, and I love that it is prepared ahead of time! I make this for a tasty Sunday morning surprise for my family if I have to work, they just take it out and heat it up!"
"We substituted veggies for the bacon to cut down on cost and fat."