- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 9 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 9 slices bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggs, milk, bread, cheese, bacon and mustard. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cheese Sausage Strata
"My family asked for 3rd helpings... the ultimate compliment!"
"I love how you can make it a day before! We made this numerous times already Sunday mornings. We do have to bake a little longer that stated. Pour some maple syrup on top before eating, it is awesome!"
"I always make this for Christmas morning. It' s so easy to pop in while enjoying family time. I use turkey sausage to lighten it up a bit."
"I made this for Easter brunch and everyone loved it. So easy to make and delicious too!"
"I layered ingredients in a 9x13 pan--sausage on bottom,then bread, then egg mixture, then cheese, then bacon on top along with a sprinkling of some dried herbs. Very pretty! It was a big hit at our church brunch."
"This recipe was so good. My whole family of picky eaters loved it."
"This recipe is hearty and delicious, and I love that it is prepared ahead of time! I make this for a tasty Sunday morning surprise for my family if I have to work, they just take it out and heat it up!"
"We substituted veggies for the bacon to cut down on cost and fat."