Cheese Sauce Over Cauliflower
The cheese sauce makes cauliflower hard to resist...even for picky eaters! I like to serve this vegetable dish at holidays and also for lunch along with pork sausage links, croissants and a green salad.
—Ruby Zein, Monona, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water, cauliflower and salt to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-15 minutes or until
- cauliflower is crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and thyme
- until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese, stirring
- until melted.
- Drain and pat cauliflower dry; place on a serving platter. Top with
- cheese sauce; sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Cut into wedges.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 237 calories, 16 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 890 mg sodium,