"I found this recipe in one of my mother’s old cookbooks and updated the flavor by adding cayenne and mustard," recalls Jamie Wetter of Boscobel, Wisconsin. "Tasty and quick for this busy season, these tender, golden puffs go together in minutes and simply disappear at parties!"
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, salt and cayenne to a
- boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a
- time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until
- mixture is smooth and shiny. Stir in Gruyere and mustard.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or
- until golden brown. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 2 appetizers equals 68 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.