"AS THE YEARS went by, I added this American side dish to our menu. My children enjoyed the rich cheese flavor, and it enhanced the rest of the meal. I also like these potatoes because I can make them early in the day and then simply heat before serving."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- About 4 pounds potatoes, peeled, cooked and thinly sliced (8 cups)
- Melt butter in a saucepan; add flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low
- heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Add milk all at
- once; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove from the heat. Add cheese and
- stir until melted. Place potatoes in a large bowl; gently stir in
- cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle
- with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until
- heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.