- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until almost tender. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Drain potatoes. On a double thickness of greased heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square), layer half of the potatoes, bacon, onion, cheese and butter. Repeat layers.
- Fold foil around potato mixture and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 12-14 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted. Carefully remove foil to allow steam to escape. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Cheese Potato Packet
"Really good and easy to make. Used Oscar Mayer real bacon pieces, sprinkled w/ cracked black pepper and shredded tex-mex cheese b/c that's what I had on hand. Will definitely make again experimenting w/ different cheeses."
"This is similar to what we did as kids in the 50's, only we used ground beef. A good, hearty meal for dinner this way by adding some corn or other vegies wrapped in heavy duty foil and without the cheese. Season as desired!"
"Good stuff Maynard!!! We do this as camping grub on the campfire coals. Cook the bacon in the wave, why dirty a skillett? And you can do the taters and bacon ahead at home and assemble at the campsite if you are not "roughing it smoothly" in a RV as we do."
"This is nothing new to me, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there with similar recipes. I've been making these potatoes on the BBQ grill since the mid 70s. I don't parboil my potatoes, there's enough steam produced from the onions to cook the potatoes as they grill."
"Everyone and I do mean everyone Loved these potatoes. Great for the grill or camping. And no mess, what a bonus."
"I agree! The recipe is simple and delicious. Thanks!"
"Simple and delicious!"