Cheese Potato Casserole
My aunt made this favorite recipe over and over at the request of family and friends. It's a very easy side dish to make. Lois Jeffery
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Romano cheese
- 8 cups sliced cooked peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour and
- salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the cheeses until melted. Add potatoes; stir gently to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter. Add bread crumbs; cook
- and stir over medium heat until lightly browned. Sprinkle over
- potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or
- until hot and bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 297 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 364 mg sodium,