My aunt made this favorite recipe over and over at the request of family and friends. It's a very easy side dish to make. — Lois Jeffery Chesterland, Ohio
Recommended: 19 Side Dishes Made in a 13x9 Pan
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Romano cheese
- 8 cups sliced cooked peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the cheeses until melted. Add potatoes; stir gently to coat. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir over medium heat until lightly browned. Sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cheese Potato Casserole in Reminisce November/December 2004, p48
Reviews for Cheese Potato Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review