Cheese Lover's Fondue Recipe
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup dry white wine, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- Cubed French bread and/or sliced apples
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 1 tablespoon wine; set aside. Combine cheeses and remaining cornstarch; set aside.
- 2. Rub sides of a large saucepan with cut sides of garlic; discard garlic. Add remaining wine to the pan and heat over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Stir in lemon juice.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium-low; add a handful of cheese mixture. Stir constantly, using a figure-eight motion, until almost completely melted. Continue adding cheese, one handful at a time, allowing cheese to almost completely melt between additions. Stir in the garlic powder, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. Stir cornstarch mixture; gradually add to the pan. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and smooth. Keep warm. Serve with bread. Yield: 2 cups.
1/4 cup (calculated without bread or apples) equals 196 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 12 g protein.
Reviews for Cheese Lover's Fondue
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.