Cheese Lover's Fondue Recipe
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup dry white wine, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- Cubed French bread and/or sliced apples
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 1 tablespoon wine; set aside. Combine cheeses and remaining cornstarch; set aside.
- 2. Rub sides of a large saucepan with cut sides of garlic; discard garlic. Add remaining wine to the pan and heat over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Stir in lemon juice.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium-low; add a handful of cheese mixture. Stir constantly, using a figure-eight motion, until almost completely melted. Continue adding cheese, one handful at a time, allowing cheese to almost completely melt between additions. Stir in the garlic powder, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. Stir cornstarch mixture; gradually add to the pan. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and smooth. Keep warm. Serve with bread. Yield: 2 cups.
1/4 cup: 196 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Cheese Lover's Fondue
"I made this with sharp white cheddar instead of Swiss, because we don't care for Swiss. It was fabulous!"
"I was skeptical about this dish, because I don't particularly like Gruyere or Swiss, but I made it for a Thanksgiving appetizer, and it turned out SO WELL! It was so simple to make, and everyone loved it. Just make sure not to let it cool, because it solidifies quickly (though it reheats really smoothly, so not a huge deal). I highly recommend this recipe, and I'll definitely be making it again!"
"I made this for a family party & it was a huge hit! It went so quickly that late arrivers missed out on it entirely!"