Cheese Grits & Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe
I can't resist this breakfast casserole. It bring all my favorites into one dish: creamy grits, tangy cheese, rich eggs and flavorful sausage! It's the perfect alternative to traditional breakfast casseroles. —Mandy Rivers, Lexington, South Carolina
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Paprika, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring the water, broth and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the cheese, milk, garlic powder and sage, stirring until cheese is melted. Stir in sausage and eggs. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 496 calories, 35 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 201 mg cholesterol, 1,173 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC