Cheese Grits & Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe
I can't resist this breakfast casserole. It bring all my favorites into one dish: creamy grits, tangy cheese, rich eggs and flavorful sausage! It's the perfect alternative to traditional breakfast casseroles. —Mandy Rivers, Lexington, South Carolina
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 6 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- Paprika, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, broth and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the cheese, milk, garlic powder and sage, stirring until cheese is melted. Stir in sausage and eggs. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cheese Grits & Sausage Breakfast Casserole in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p31
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Cheese Grits & Sausage Breakfast Casserole(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review