"I remember enjoying these crispy golden sandwiches at a restaurant when I was a teenager," writes Darlene Brenden of Salem, Oregon. "After it closed, I came up with this recipe. Now I make a batch and keep them in the freezer, ready to fry at any time. It's like reliving my teen years all over again!"
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 8 slices bread
- 8 slices process American cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 25 crackers)
- Oil for frying
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Top four slices with two cheese slices. Top with remaining bread, mayonnaise side down. Cut each sandwich into four triangles.
- In a bowl, beat the egg, milk and salt. Dip sandwiches into egg mixture, then roll in cracker crumbs. Wrap in foil and freeze for up to 1 month.
- In a skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry a few frozen sandwiches at a time for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cheese Frenchy Sandwiches in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p63
Reviews for Cheese Frenchy Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review