Lemon lovers will find this rich, glazed coffee cake absolutely scrumptious. The cream cheese in the middle is a wonderful surprise and nicely complements the tart citrus flavor.—Tessa Mabe, Toledo, Oregon
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg; mix well. Stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured 8-in. fluted tube pan. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and remaining sugar; spoon over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. Drizzle over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cheese-Filled Lemon Coffee Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2010, p30
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cheese-Filled Lemon Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review