- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute spinach until wilted. Drain and remove. In same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in chilies, green onions, cilantro, garlic, spices and spinach. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until pureed. Stir in sour cream; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine cheeses; set aside 1 cup for topping. Add onion and cilantro to remaining cheese mixture; toss to combine. Place about 1/4 cup cheese-onion mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Pour sauce over top. Sprinkle with reserved cheese mixture. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cheese Enchiladas with Green Sauce
Sort By :
"I was a little disappointed with this recipe. It was a lot of work and I found the enchiladas to be sort of blah tasting. If I make this recipe again, I will try to spice it up a little."
"I followed this recipe exactly and it turned out amazing. This is way better than any restaurant enchilada I have had! ! ! ! I will definitely make it again and again."
"I sautéed chicken tenders w/ a chopped sweet onion, which I slow-cooked for 5 hours before combining w/ the cheese mixture & used to stuff large flour tortillas."
"One of the best recipes from this issue -- hubby LOVED it!"
"Really good! Used flour tortilla's instead of corn and added rotisserie chicken. Would definitely make again!"