Cheese Enchiladas Recipe
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded lettuce, sliced ripe olives and additional sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Spoon 2 tablespoons sauce over each tortilla.
- In a large bowl, combine the Monterey Jack, 2 cups cheddar cheese, onions, sour cream, parsley, salt and pepper. Place about 1/3 cup down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Pour remaining sauce over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 4-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish with lettuce, olives and sour cream if desired. Yield: 16 enchiladas.
Reviews for Cheese Enchiladas(29)
Sort By :
finally a decent enchilada recipe ! loved it
Overall I really liked the recipe, but when I make it next time I'd tweak it just a little. First, if I could find slightly smaller tortillas, I would definitely use them. The burrito-sized tortillas are just too big. Second, I make more filling than called for in this recipe. The tortilla to cheese ratio was off in my opinion. Last, I'd make more sauce. It was also pretty scant for the recipe. Oh, and next time, I'll remember the olives for garnish!
This recipe was super easy and very good. The only thing I would change would be to add a can of green chilies to the cheese mixture!
I seen this recipe in the magazine and lost the magizine when I moved. THANKS GOD I found it online or I would be in HUGE trouble. Everytime I make this I hear MMMMM. I actually have to print out the recipe on cards and place it by the dish when I take it to fellowship dinner.
This is the only cheese enchiladas recipe I ever make and I always get raves when I serve it!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Enchiladas >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Dinners >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >