Cheese Crescents Recipe
I've had this delicious crescent roll recipe for more than 20 years. It's a family favorite and a nice addition to any meal. My son won a championship ribbon with these rolls at our county fair.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:36 servings
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, cheese, sugar, yeast, salt and Italian seasoning. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place point side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 4. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over crescents.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 roll equals 82 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 126 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC