- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add carrots, broccoli and celery; cover and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add flour and stir to make smooth paste. Gradually add chicken broth and milk. Cook until mixture thickens, about 8-10 minutes. Add vegetables; heat until tender. Add cheese; heat until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Cheese Broccoli Soup
Sort By :
"I'm cooking for 2 using lower sodium, lower fat. So I cut everything down 1/4 of all ingredients. The salt in the chicken broth & processed cheese seemed very salty to me but I don't use much salt. I used much less cheese (1 1/2" chunk) & only 1 T. butter & it was plenty for flavor. I sauteed green onion & diced celery before adding broccoli & cauliflower (instead of carrots). I added ground dried garlic, lemon pepper, & a pinch of nutmeg after reading other reviews. I whisked the milk and flour since I used less butter."
"This recipe is so simple and quick. I usually do add some salt and pepper and garlic powder, occasionally lemon pepper, too."
"This soup had no flavor! I added 1tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper and 1/2 teas nutmeg and it was O.K. but it still needed more salt and pepper. How did this recipe get by with no seasonings?"
"This is a great soup very creamy with a perfect taste of all of the vegtables. It is very appealing to eat also!! Very easy to make..... I will make this soup many times in the future. Very happy with the results."
"Great soup and easy to make"