- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add carrots, broccoli and celery; cover and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add flour and stir to make smooth paste. Gradually add chicken broth and milk. Cook until mixture thickens, about 8-10 minutes. Add vegetables; heat until tender. Add cheese; heat until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Cheese Broccoli Soup
"We really enjoy this soup. I use double the amount of broccoli, and I also use frozen broccoli florets and frozen sliced carrots for easier prep. I don't bother to thaw them - I simply cook them a little longer to begin with. I also add 1 tsp of black pepper in when pouring in the broth and milk, and it seems to give it just enough seasoning. It's a good, filling soup, quick to prepare and easy to make!"
"I used sharp white cheddar instead of the processed cheese. Next time I will omit the carrots and use more broccoli. Also, maybe using some of the broccoli cooking liquid would give it more broccoli flavor. I noticed some comments about lack of seasoning. I didn't even notice that salt and pepper was not listed since I always add salt and pepper as I cook. Taste and adjust."
"I tried this recipe about two years ago and it has been my "go-to" ever since! My friends and family request this soup throughout the whole year and it even faired well at a company pot-luck. The only change I make is using a mild cheddar instead of velveeta, makes for a more natural taste. This makes quite a bit of soup, so I always end up freezing some leftovers. It heats up so easily and is great to have on hand in a pinch.You wont regret making this one!"
"I tried this recipe last night and it was terrific. I added mushrooms at 5 minutes boil time and boiled for 2 more minutes. After the soup was completed I felt it needed acidity so I added 1/2 can of rotel original and it was a great ending to a great day!!"
"I'm cooking for 2 using lower sodium, lower fat. So I cut everything down 1/4 of all ingredients. The salt in the chicken broth & processed cheese seemed very salty to me but I don't use much salt. I used much less cheese (1 1/2" chunk) & only 1 T. butter & it was plenty for flavor. I sauteed green onion & diced celery before adding broccoli & cauliflower (instead of carrots). I added ground dried garlic, lemon pepper, & a pinch of nutmeg after reading other reviews. I whisked the milk and flour since I used less butter."