Cheese Broccoli Soup
This simple soup has basic ingredients, but it tastes so good. The green broccoli florets and the brilliant orange carrots make this creamy soup a colorful addition to any table. —Evelyn Massner, Oakville, Iowa
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add carrots,
- broccoli and celery; cover and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set
- In the same saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add flour and stir to
- make smooth paste. Gradually add chicken broth and milk. Cook until
- mixture thickens, about 8-10 minutes. Add vegetables; heat until
- tender. Add cheese; heat until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8
- servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 472 calories, 31 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,033 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.