The rich-tasting filling of this appetizer is made with mozzarella and ricotta cheese, then baked between buttery layered dough.—Jean L. Ecos, Hartland, Wisconsin
16-20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella or Muenster cheese
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (18 inches x 14 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, egg white, ricotta and parsley.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese; set aside.
- Unroll phyllo dough; cut the stack of sheets in half widthwise. Place
- one sheet of phyllo dough in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan;
- brush with butter. Repeat nine times (keep remaining dough covered
- with plastic wrap to avoid drying out).
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over top. Layer with remaining dough,
- brushing butter on every other sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into
- triangles or squares. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 150 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium,