"THE BREAD at this meal sometimes varied, but we loved Mother's cheese biscuits best. Although the biscuit bowl was always filled to the top, there never seemed to be enough. The cheese gives these biscuits an unforgettable flavor, and buttermilk makes them especially light."
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in
- shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in
- cheese. Add buttermilk; stir just until dough clings together. On a
- lightly floured surface, knead dough lightly until easy to handle.
- Roll into a 12-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Begin at wide end
- of wedge and roll toward point. Place biscuits, point side down, on
- a greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 12-14 minutes or until
- golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 biscuits.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 209 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 396 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.