Cheese Batter Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm chicken broth (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/4 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Onion salt, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm broth. Add the sugar, butter, salt, poultry seasoning, egg and 1 cup of flour; beat until smooth. Add 1 cup of cheese and the remaining flour; stir for 1 minute.
- 2. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Stir the batter down, about 25 strokes. Spread evenly into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and onion salt if desired. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 136 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Cheese Batter Bread
"I would give it 5 stars for taste and flavor. It is delicious and my husband just raved about it. However, the name batter bread is misleading. Once you add the final 2 cups of flour, it becomes a stiff dough that cannot be "stirred," instead it requires kneading to get the right texture. This was delicious with soup for dinner and toasted the next morning for breakfast. It is such a pretty loaf, it also would make an excellent gift."