Cheese Batter Bread Recipe
Hearty breads are very much a part of our Midwest heritage. This bread has a unique flavor and is a family favorite.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm chicken broth (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/4 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Onion salt, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm broth. Add the sugar, butter, salt, poultry seasoning, egg and 1 cup of flour; beat until smooth. Add 1 cup of cheese and the remaining flour; stir for 1 minute.
- 2. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Stir the batter down, about 25 strokes. Spread evenly into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and onion salt if desired. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 136 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 197 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC