Cheese and Sausage Appetizers
I got this recipe from a home economics instructor when I was teaching in Oklahoma. I think it represents the Southwest because of its spicy flavor. It can be used as an appetizer before a Mexican meal or served as a snack.
22 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 16 ounces (4 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black or cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces pork sausage, cooked and drained
- In large bowl, beat the cheese, butter, flour, salt and pepper on
- medium-low speed. Stir in cooked sausage. Form dough into 1-in.
- balls; place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve
- warm or cold. Store in refrigerator or freezer. Yield: about 5-1/2
- dozen appetizers.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 208 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.