Cheese 'n' Pasta in a Pot Recipe
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 8 ounces uncooked medium pasta shells
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream, divided
- 6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 6 ounces sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Spoon half of shells into an ovenproof Dutch oven. Layer with half of the meat mixture. Spread with 1 cup sour cream; top with provolone cheese. Layer with remaining pasta, meat mixture and sour cream; top with mozzarella cheese.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 439 calories, 23 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 564 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.