I love to make this dish whenever friends are visiting. Since I can make it ahead, it gives me more time to spend with my guests. Warm rolls and a simple salad make this a meal.—Carmelita Guinan, Wollaston, Massachusetts
Recommended: 27 Recipes for One-Pot Meals
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 8 ounces uncooked medium pasta shells
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream, divided
- 6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 6 ounces sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Spoon half of shells into an ovenproof Dutch oven. Layer with half of the meat mixture. Spread with 1 cup sour cream; top with provolone cheese. Layer with remaining pasta, meat mixture and sour cream; top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Cheese 'n' Pasta in a Pot in Country Ground Beef 1993, p39
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Cheese 'n' Pasta in a Pot
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 22, 2011
"this was quite good for being so easy and fast i will def be making it again thanks for sharing"