Cheese 'n' Grits Casserole
Grits are a staple in Southern cooking. Serve this as a brunch item with bacon or as a side dish for dinner.—Jennifer Wallis, Goldsboro, North Carolina
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Slowly stir in grits and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7
- minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly. Gradually whisk in milk,
- butter and eggs. Stir in cheese, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake,
- uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes
- before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 202 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 335 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.