Cheese & Sausage Pastry Poppers Recipe
Refrigerated pie crust makes easy work for these bite-size appetizers.They are a delicious mix of sweet and savory.—Jeanette Nelson, Sophia, West Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch YIELD:30 servings
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Hot Italian Sausage Links
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 2/3 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and shallots over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastries. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Press circles onto the bottom and up the sides of greased miniature muffin cups; set aside.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the apricots, preserves and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until apricots are softened. Remove from the heat; stir in sausage mixture. In a small bowl, combine the cheeses.
- 4. Spoon 3/4 teaspoon cheese mixture into each pastry-lined muffin cup; top with 1 tablespoon sausage-fruit mixture. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 127 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC