Cheese & Prosciutto-Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 3/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh basil
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Flatten chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness; spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese down the center of each. Top with one slice of prosciutto, 1 tablespoon of tomatoes and two basil leaves. Roll up and tuck in ends; secure with toothpicks.
- 2. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Romano cheese. Dip chicken in flour, eggs, and then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- 3. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil in batches. Place seam side down in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- 4. In a small saucepan, heat cream and shallot over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Stir in Gorgonzola cheese, salt and pepper. Cook 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Discard toothpicks. Drizzle chicken with sauce; sprinkle with minced basil. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed chicken breast half with 1/4 cup sauce equals 757 calories, 55 g fat (27 g saturated fat), 307 mg cholesterol, 1,111 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 50 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.