- 6 large baking potatoes
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub and pierce potatoes; rub each with 1 teaspoon butter. Place on a baking sheet. Bake 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In drippings, saute onion until tender; set aside.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut a thin slice off the top of each and discard. Scoop out pulp, leaving a thin shell. In a small bowl, mash pulp with remaining butter. Stir in milk, egg, salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese, bacon and onion.
- Spoon into the potato shells. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Twice-Baked Potatoes
"I added the milk and as soon as I started stirring it in I knew it was too much. I thought they needed more body and flavor. It may be as simple as substituting sour cream for the milk."
"This is a great recipe and makes for a special holiday side dish for our family!"
"I made these this morning for my brother. When he saw them he wanted to eat them for breakfast and he had a hard time waiting till lunch time to eat them. They turned out quite well. :)"
"Allergies to eggs and onions make us substitute garlic and omit the egg, but they do the trick!"
"These potatoes are excellent!! They are even yummy cold, from the fridge!"
"Love these potatoes. My husband ask for them all the time."
"I was looking for something different to make for dinner, so I made smaller versions of this recipe. They were a huge hit! The recipe instructions are easy to follow, although I admit to "tweaking" the recipe slightly with the addition of onion chives. Thanks for the great recipe idea."
"My boyfriend and I made these potatoes for Valentines Day. They were delicious, and they were overflowing with the stuffing! Also, I left out the onions, because we don't like them. I will be making them again, but probably only on a special occasion."
"Loved them! I will be making these often, but you have to eye the milk, i used smaller potatoes and all the milk would have been to runny"
"my family love this they think it's the best thing ever."