Cheddar Tomato Dumplings Recipe
"Simmered in tomato sauce, these fluffy dumplings with cheddar cheese in the dough make a satisfying side dish as well as a delicious, economical main dish," suggests Marie Hattrup of Sparks, Nevada
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced celery leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add flour; stir well. Gradually blend in tomatoes. Add celery leaves, sugar, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for dumplings, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add cheddar cheese. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto simmering tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 4-5 servings.
Originally published as Cheddar Tomato Dumplings in Taste of Home October/November 1998, p53
Reviews for Cheddar Tomato Dumplings(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2011
So comforting and easy to make! My favourite rainy day recipe. I have shared this recipe many times!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Side Dishes >
- German Vegetarian Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >