- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed cooked winter squash
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sesame seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in water. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and stir gently. Let stand until light and foamy. Stir in milk, 3 tablespoons butter, salt, squash and cheese. Add enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until the dough is no longer sticky, about 5 minutes. Form into a ball and place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, lightly grease 24 muffin cups. Punch down dough. Break off small portions and roll into 1-in. balls. Put three balls into each cup. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush tops of rolls with remaining butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Bake at 375° for 16-18 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Cheddar/Squash Cloverleaf Rolls
Sort By :
"I have made this many times. I microwave winter squash until soft and use this plus very sharp, good cheddar. The rolls are a beautiful color. They freeze and reheat well."
"Used frozen&thawed pumpkin puree from our pumpkins, a mixed blend of shredded cheeses, and half whole wheat flour. Cooked for 28 minutes as pan rolls in a 9x13 glass pan. Turned out nicely, but were much better warm than cold."