Cheddar Spoon Bread
This recipe is a family favorite. It is a great side dish to any meal and it fast to make.Barbara Clouse, Blacksburg, Virginia
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, well beaten
- Scald 1-1/2 cups milk (heat to 180°). Mix cornmeal with remaining
- 1/2 cup cold milk and add to hot milk. Cook, stirring constantly,
- over low heat until thickened, approximately 5 minutes. Add cheese,
- butter, sugar and salt; stir until melted. Remove from heat until
- thickened, approximately 5 minutes. Add cheese, butter, sugar and
- salt; stir until melted. Remove from heat; stir in eggs. Pour into
- 1-qt. greased baking dish; bake at 350° for about 35 minutes or
- until lightly browned and set. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 766 calories, 78 g fat (49 g saturated fat), 282 mg cholesterol, 1,247 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.