Cheddar Seafood Chowder Recipe
Shrimp and scallops make this thick, cheesy and chunky chowder extra-special. It’s packed with veggies, and the crispy bacon makes a yummy garnish. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. In the drippings, saute the celery, orange pepper and onion until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- 3. Add the potatoes, seafood seasoning and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 4. Add shrimp and scallops; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish each serving with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 309 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 981 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC