- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute the celery, orange pepper and onion until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, seafood seasoning and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add shrimp and scallops; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish each serving with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Seafood Chowder
"We loved it! I made some changes: used 4 poblano peppers in place of the orange bell pepper, leftover russet baked potatoes instead of the red potatoes, leftover Mahi Mahi for the fish, half-and-half instead of regular milk and I actually forgot to add the cheese! I did stir in 1cup extra milk and 1cup extra broth; adjust to taste. Added about 3-4 tablespoons of butter and about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Oh, and since I was out of celery I stirred in about a teaspoon of celery seeds. LOL!!! It really looks like I took a lot of liberties here! But the result was excellent and we'll definitely make this again when we have leftover seafood."
"Very filling and delicious! My 7 yr old and 3 yr old loved it! As did The Hubs!"
"SO yummy! Didn't have any scallops, so just used extra shrimp. So easy, but seems like you fussed. Extra-crispy bacon is perfect for garnish. Yum yum yum."