- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute the celery, orange pepper and onion until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, seafood seasoning and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add shrimp and scallops; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish each serving with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cheddar Seafood Chowder in Simple & Delicious December/January 2011, p76
Reviews for Cheddar Seafood Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2011
"Very filling and delicious! My 7 yr old and 3 yr old loved it! As did The Hubs!"
Reviewed Jan. 26, 2011
"SO yummy! Didn't have any scallops, so just used extra shrimp. So easy, but seems like you fussed. Extra-crispy bacon is perfect for garnish. Yum yum yum."