Cheddar Potato Soup Recipe
My home state is famous for cheese, which I use in many recipes such as this creamy soup. Cheddar gives it a sunny color and tantalizing taste. A good meal starter, it's also a great choice for a light lunch or supper when teamed with a salad and bread. -Mark Trinklein, Racine, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- Seasoned croutons and minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Puree in small batches in a blender until smooth; return to the pan. Stir in the cheese, milk, pepper and paprika. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted. Garnish with croutons and parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 13 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 586 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC