- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large saucepan; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir the ham and the cheese sauce into undrained vegetables; stir until combined. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Potato Chowder
"This soup was good and would make it again. I had homemade chicken broth on hand and used it in place of water. I think it adds to the flavour."
"Very good! I didn't have 2% milk, and I barely had 1%, either, so I'll share how I made it so maybe it will help someone else. I sauteed the carrots, celery, and onion in 1 Tbsp butter before adding the potatoes and water. I used 1/2 c of 1% milk, and 1 1/2 c fat free milk, since that's what I had on hand. I was very careful to stir often and only added a little bit of cheese at a time so it wouldn't curdle. I used 1 c of shredded cheddar, and 4 slices of organic American cheese slices, broken into pieces. And I used ham lunchmeat that I just cut into bite size pieces. My family loved it, and they asked for me to add it to our regular menus. Great recipe. Thank you for submitting it! I served it with Crusty Dinner Biscuits (another excellent recipe) and iced tea."
"I made this for dinner tonight. It was quite good, but I added 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, and 1 tsp garlic powder to make it delicious! :)"
"This was well loved by my friends! I loved that it is low calorie, and it really hit the spot!"