Cheddar Pear Pie
I take this pie to lots of different gatherings, and I make sure to have copies of the recipe with me since people always ask for it. It's amusing to see some folks puzzling over what's in the filling - they expect apples but love the subtle sweetness of the pears.
-Cynthia LaBree, Elmer, New Jersey
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 large ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 frozen pie shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, sugar, cornstarch and salt; toss
- gently to coat. Pour into pie shell.
- For topping, combine the cheese, flour, sugar and salt; stir in
- butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 425° for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and
- cheese is melted. Cool on a wire rack for 15-20. Serve warm. Store
- in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 346 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 311 mg sodium,