This is our favorite special-occasion breakfast. I usually double the recipe and freeze leftovers for a quick midweek morning meal.
Virginia Mae Folsom, Agincourt, Ontario
4-5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Applesauce, warmed, optional
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Combine the egg, milk, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients
- just until moistened. Stir in cheese.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn
- when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is
- golden brown. Serve with applesauce if desired. Yield: 8-10
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 286 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 569 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.