- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese and water just until moistened. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the pimientos. Spread over crust. Combine the egg, sour cream, salt, paprika and pepper; spread over onion layer. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into 1-1/2-in. squares. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Cheddar Onion Squares in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p46
Reviews for Cheddar Onion Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review