Cheddar Loaves Recipe
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, eggs, sugar, salt and 6 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead cheese into the dough. Divide in half; shape each portion into a 6-in. round loaf. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice: 178 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Cheddar Loaves
"This recipe is fantastic. Perfect density and just the right amount of cheddar. I was thinking this bread is also the perfect density to be a "dip" bread. Hollow out one loaf and fill with spinach dip, and cube up the other to use for dipping. The middle of the one loaf just never seems to be enough. I'll definitely try that for my next gathering!"
"Nice cheddar flavor but somewhat dense texture. This was probably my own fault; I think I let the dough rise too high."
"This is one of our favorite go-to breads! My family likes to take day old, slice it in half lengthwise, spread pesto on it and add ham, cheese, spinach... wrap it in foil, bake for about 20 min, then devour, lol!!!"
"This is a really excellent bread. It is a light bread and very well liked. I have used just regualar medium cheddar cheese and it tastes just as good. I also bake it in loaf pans everytime."
"I have made this recipe a number of times, we love it and have had many comments on it from others as well."
"This was delicious! Will definately make this again."