Cheddar Loaves Recipe
Swirls of cheddar cheese give these loaves an exquisite flavor. Try a slice or two for sandwiches, toasted for breakfast or served on the side with a Caesar salad —Agnes Ward Stratford, Ontario
- 3 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, eggs, sugar, salt and 6 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead cheese into the dough. Divide in half; shape each portion into a 6-in. round loaf. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 178 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC