Cheddar Ham Strata Recipe
I put together this ham and egg dish on Christmas Eve and refrigerate it. Then, while we open presents on Christmas morning, I pop it in the oven for breakfast. It’s a family tradition. —Ann Pool, Jerome, Idaho
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour + standing YIELD:12 servings
- 10 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place the bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter; spoon over bread. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and flour. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, garlic powder and salt. Pour over ham and cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC