Cheddar Ham Soup Recipe
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, carrot and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir into undrained potato mixture. Add ham and peas; heat through. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Ham Soup
Sort By :
"It doesn't taste much different than can soup. It is ok but I will probably not make it again. It was flavorless. I like the idea of using a rich broth instead of water."
"Excellent, loved the recipe. I added more ham as I had a lot left over!"
"I used only half the butter and cheese and it was still delicious. I also used stock instead of water. Even my picky eaters loved it."
"This was fantastic. I substituted corn for peas. I aslo boiled my ham hock for the broth to replace the water."
"Made this it was great. I omitted the flour and butter and added chicken stock and garlic for extra flavour. It wasn't thick but I was going for less gluten. I would definitely make this one again."