- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, carrot and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir into undrained potato mixture. Add ham and peas; heat through. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Ham Soup
"If I could I would give this 7 stars! This soup is awesome. Not a great cook, especially soup. Had many failed soup recipes. First time I made this (tonight) it came out fantastic.Will definitely make this again. Thanks for the recipe. My husband thinks I am a great cook now."
"I'm giving 5 stars to my own, slightly adapted version of this, if I may! I used a very rich, gelatinous, mildly spiced stock I had frozen from the Christmas ham. It had a lovely back note of cinnamon, orange zest, clove and black pepper. I only cooked the diced potato in this, opting to sweat a diced onion, two carrots and celery in butter and olive oil before adding. At this stage I whizzed it in the blender until smooth and added corn as well as ham and peas for the finished soup. The little extra fat gave a beautifully rich, shiny, emulsified soup. Delicious. I'll make it again for sure. The only change I'd make to this would be to use a milder cheddar. I used a very punchy English farmhouse ched which was a bit too dominant. Other than that, gorgeous!"
"I read through reviews before making and reading that it had no flavor with just water i cooked the ham bone with a few seasoning and onion making a broth and used it in place of the water giving the soup a nice flavor. I did not use the full 2 cups of cheese. I am giving this recipe a 4 only because i substituted some ingredients so not sure how the real recipe would have tasted."
"It doesn't taste much different than can soup. It is ok but I will probably not make it again. It was flavorless. I like the idea of using a rich broth instead of water."
"Excellent, loved the recipe. I added more ham as I had a lot left over!"