Cheddar Ham Soup Recipe
“I knew this recipe was a keeper when my mother-in-law asked for it!” relates Marty Matthews in Clarksville, Tennessee. The hearty soup, chock-full of leftover ham, veggies and cheese, is creamy and comforting. And even though the recipe makes enough to feed a crowd of post-holiday guests, Mary notes, “don’t look for leftovers!”
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, carrot and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir into undrained potato mixture. Add ham and peas; heat through. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup equals 303 calories, 17 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 763 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC