Cheddar Ham Chowder Recipe
Life on a farm can get hectic—along with my husband's four brothers, we custom-feed 5,000 head of cattle and grow 5,000 acres of crops. So I often freeze this soup and thaw it for a fast easy meal. Since It's hearty, all I need to add are rolls or bread and a salad. We're expecting an addition to the family spring, who'll join our 19-year-old, 4-year-old and 2-year-old.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from the heat; do not drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Add cheese and stir until melted. Stir into the undrained vegetables; return large saucepan to the heat. Add corn and ham; heat through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 434 calories, 27 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 1,237 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC