Gougeres-French cheesy cream puffs-are usually made with Gruyere cheese but I often substitute with the sharpest cheddar I can find for bolder flavor. Make this recipe your own with the cheese of your choice. —Bridget M. Klusman, Otsego, Michigan
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh chives
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Stir in cheese, chives and garlic.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 1 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Bake at 375° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Cheddar Gougeres in Taste of Home December/January 2012, p29
Reviews for Cheddar Gougeres
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review