Cheddar French Toast with Dried Fruit Syrup
My family loves this warm French toast on cold mornings in the North Carolina mountains where we take our yearly vacation. Each year, I alter the recipe slightly by experimenting with different dried fruits. —Jackie Lintz, Cocoa Beach, Florida
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups maple syrup
- 1 package (8 ounces) dried fruit, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 12 slices Italian or French bread (cut diagonally 1 inch thick)
- 1-1/3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the syrup, fruit and walnuts; cover and let
- stand overnight.
- Cut a slit in the crust of each slice of bread to form a pocket.
- Stuff each pocket with 2 tablespoons cheese. In a large bowl, whisk
- the eggs, milk and salt; soak bread for 2 minutes per side. Cook on
- a greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides. Serve with
- dried fruit syrup. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 768 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 179 mg cholesterol, 877 mg sodium, 129 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 22 g protein.