VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar and salt. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Press each into a greased 9-in. pie plate. In a small bowl, combine melted butter and seasonings; brush over dough. Sprinkle with cheese. Prick dough several times with a fork. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Cheddar Flat Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p61
Reviews forCheddar Flatbread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review