- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar and salt. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Press each into a greased 9-in. pie plate. In a small bowl, combine melted butter and seasonings; brush over dough. Sprinkle with cheese. Prick dough several times with a fork. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Cheddar Flat Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p61
Reviews for Cheddar Flatbread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2009
"I substituted 4 cheese Italian blend for the cheddar, and added a little garlic, parsley, and thyme to serve it with chicken parm. Easy and delicious!"